Thursday, March 14, 2013

FOLLOW



You’re in the Lead

Here is a handful of definitions we Americans use to explain FOLLOW :

·      To engage in as a calling or way of life: pursue <wheat-growing is generally followed here>

·      To watch steadily <followed the flight of the ball>


And the Brits explain FOLLOW like this:

·      Go or come after (a person or thing proceeding ahead)

·      Move or travel behind

·      Treat as a teacher or guide <those who seek to follow Jesus Christ>


Both definitions support the suggestion that God, in fact, follows us!  Not that we are exemplary leaders whom He imitates or to whom He subjects Himself. He follows us because, in the freedom He has granted us, we stray.  We need Him to follow us with His arm of salvation.

“I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, ‘Here am I, here am I.’” Isaiah 65:1 (NIV)

This verse assures us that God follows those who don’t realize it, request it or deserve it. It’s a great Scripture to stand on when you’re praying for someone who has no interest, whatsoever, in the Lord. According to His word, He will follow that one for whom you are laboring in prayer since He desires that no one perish.

Remember John 15:16?

 “You did not choose Me. I chose you, and I orchestrated all of this so that you would be sent out and bear great and perpetual fruit. As you do this, anything you ask the Father in My name will be done.” (Voice)

Our Father is committed to following us, no matter what. And He will be kind as He pursues. It is effective.

“…the goodness of God leads you to repentance."  Romans 2: 4 (NKJV)

This clearly suggests that the person who needs to repent is out of fellowship; out of step; not following Him. Therefore, the Lord will follow to forgive.

“Then the Lord said to me, ‘Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the Lord still loves Israel, even though the people have turned to other gods and love to worship them.’
So I bought her back for fifteen pieces of silver and five bushels of barley and a measure of wine.” Hosea 3: 1-3 (NLT)

Hosea 3 is a metaphor for His compassionate pursuit of us even when we are egregiously offensive! Look at how Hosea rewarded his wife, Gomer. He gave her another chance. He made her feel safe and forgiven.

 God is doing the same for you. He doesn't give up.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.” Psalm 23 (KJV)

As He follows you, so shall His goodness.

All of the following blessings will be yours—in fact, they’ll chase after you—if you’ll listen to what He tells you.” Deuteronomy 28:2  (Voice)

He's pursuing and watching us steadily. His picture should be next to "FOLLOW" in both Merriam's and the Oxford Dictionary!


-Still Processing

2 comments:

  1. Great post! And, His blessings chase after you, when you follow Him! In the midst of chaos, you are free. In the midst of happiness, you find deep joy. Found you on Faith Barista!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia. So glad you visited and found some inspiration here. In fact, I just reread it to remind myself that He is following me closely. He is like a parent following a toddler whose steps are being guided with a gentle distance to create maturity, reliance and faith that Daddy will always be there even when His presence isn't so obvious. I'm glad you left your kind words. If you can, take a peek at my newest, SPING. Share your thoughts if you like!

      Delete